Wednesday, August 17, 2011

She's in a new world

I took my daughter to school this morning, just like every other morning. But today was a little different.
She's tired. I'm tired. For different reasons. I'm tired because I stay up too late and then have to get up early to take Cali to school. She's tired because she isn't getting any deep sleep. After talking to her a minute in the car she told me that she's half awake - sort of in that Never Land state of sleep - all night. She hears what's going on, knows when I come in and kiss her good night.... just not sleeping well. As she talked I realized she's still so excited about school and her new world that she's still sleeping like one would the night before they leave for a trip to Disneyland. She's LOVING school.
On the way to school I asked about her classes. This girl that often has NOTHING to say to me chatted the WHOLE WAY to school!!!
1st period - Earth Ag - "Did you know...." began a lot of her sentences when talking about this class.
2nd period - PE - not much to say here.
3rd period - choir - LOVES it and is bored with much of it because she learned so much theory taking piano lessons that "this stuff is old news and I literally yawn." FINALLY - the theory lessons from her piano teacher are paying off and she sees the value.... a little bit anyway.
4th period - Algebra - LOVES her teacher! The conversation became so animated at this point and the energy increased.... she isn't tired any more.
LUNCH
5th period - Spanish. Totally enjoying that.
6th period - English - wants to pray for her teacher because it looks like she has some physical struggles.
7th period - State Requirements. I've never heard of a class called State Requirements. It was the only class she complained about the first week of school. After the 2nd day she decided she hated the teacher. I suggested 2 hours wasn't enough to KNOW the teacher and he would probably end up being her favorite. Today he is. She now LOVES the class and sees the teacher as "COOL!!!"
I've been so dissatisfied with my relationship with her lately. She doesn't include me in so many things... when I walk in her room she stops playing her guitar - even BEFORE I knock she hears me coming and stops playing. I feel hurt. But today that was all gone.
We have a routine now... I drop her at the curb where she's chosen to be dropped off every morning. She jumps out and crosses the street, literally running most days to greet her friends. I'm sure she is one of the first ones there and she is focused on finding them. She's out of the car and in another world that doesn't include me before I even pull away from the curb. But today was different.
She looked back.
And then waved. Just a small wave but it made my heart soar. I'm learning to get to know my daughter in her new world. :-)

No comments: