Saturday, December 29, 2007

New Years Resolutions - or not

I don't know the rules about blogging yet - somehow I think I'm about to find out....

I got an email from a friend tonight that linked to this GREAT blog!!!

I have never really heard of this but have accidentally been doing it for the past SEVERAL years!!!

Some examples of my words have been

praise
Him
family
balance
home
others

I know there are more but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

It's funny too - each one brought about great changes in my life in that area.... like the word home - I was working outside the home, gone for many hours a day, with 2 little boys who I really wanted to spend more time with. My word became home and all decisions made were based on "will this allow me more time at home or will it take me away from home more?" That year I quit my job, quit teaching Sunday School, dropped my radio talk show, completed my responsibilities on the school site council, stopped volunteering at a couple non-profits, resigned my position on the board of another non-profit, found a friend who would ask me every time we spoke on the phone "Where are you Lynda? GO HOME!!" and started my own business as a computer consultant from home. It was an incredible year for my family.

The word others - that came out of the realization that I totally bulldoze over people. I forget they have feelings and frankly it irritates the heck out of me that they do! I don't mean to ignore anyone or be insensitive - I just failed to THINK of others. I didn't consider myself "self-centered" but indeed I found I was. So that was my word - a regular reminder to think of others, consider their needs and feelings, and share with them the love of God that I am so secure in.

Him - that has become more of a life word for me. I live for Him. I'd like to show more of Him and less of me. I want others to know Him in His fullness and know His love. As I have gotten to know Him more each day and each week and each month, the years have become more peaceful and my love for Him has grown.

With each new word I choose my password changes too. I always find it a regular reminder when I make my password a word that I'm focusing on. Probably not good information for me to share - but really - when it's a word I REALLY want to think of I put it in front of my eyes every chance I get.

I challenge you to join us. It really can be life changing.

And my apologies for any blogging rules I've broken.

No comments: